- VA pays your books/supplies stipend normally 14 days before start of term or semester.
- The books/supplies stipend is paid up to the maximum amount yearly based on the service member’s eligibility percentage and hours enrolled.
- The current rate is $41.67 per credit hour, paid based on individual eligibility percentage. The maximum amount paid per year is $1000.00.
Call the VA Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 change your banking information.
The VA pays your monthly benefit at the end of each month by direct deposit, usually within 7 business days after processing.
Generally it takes four to six weeks to process your original application for benefits or the school enrollment certification we submit for you.
|Member Serves||Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable|
|At least 36 months||100%|
|At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability||100%|
|At least 30 months, but less than 36 months||90%|
|At least 24 months, but less than 30 months||80%|
|At least 18 months, but less than 24 months||70%|
|At least 12 months, but less than 18 months||60%|
|At least 06 months, but less than 12 months||50%|
|At least 90 days, but less than 06 months||40%|
- VA pays based on percentage of maximum benefit the amount of in-state tuition and mandatory in-state fees.
- This amount is reported to the VA after the 10th class date in order to give students time to add/drop courses as needed.
- It normally takes the VA three to four weeks to process payments to the school.
- Students will be responsible for the amount not covered by financial aid or VA funds, to include service fees.
- Any service fee associated with VA payments will be waivered upon receipt of VA payment.
The payment and maximum amounts listed will be prorated based on the service member’s eligibility percentage. MHA is generally the same as the military BAH for an E-5 with dependents and based on the ZIP code for your school 39762.
Payments are made by direct deposit at the end of each month. To qualify for MHA you will need to be attending school at greater than half-time.
- Monthly Housing Allowance— sent directly to the student.
- Books and Supplies Stipend—sent directly to the student.
- In-state Tuition and Mandatory In-State Fees—sent directly to Mississippi State University
Dropped courses or withdrawals need to be reported to the Center immediately, as this could affect any debt or overpayment.
Students receive a VA generated email and an award letter detailing their benefits.
An email is sent prior to academic advising, notifying you to pick up a Verification of Enrollment form at the Center for America’s Veterans. This form must be taken to your academic advising appointment to be signed both by you and your advisor.
Verification of Enrollment form needs to be updated for the upcoming term or semester.
Payments are prorated based on the number of days in the month that you are in classes. Your benefit stops the day classes’ end.